May is already here, which is a little surreal to me! I love making seasonal to-do lists (as evidenced in 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013), and Rob and I have already been checking many things off of this year’s Spring + Summer Checklist! We are in the midst of a few free weekends without travel or weddings (and then weekend craziness really begins…), so we’ve been really embracing time here in town to seek out new adventures, explore our area, revisit old favorites, and soak up all this season has to offer, especially before the intense heat and humidity kick in!
Without furter ado, here is this year’s Spring + Summer Checklist:
- go to the farmer’s market often
- plant our own little herb garden (done already!)
- bluegrass + picnic at Fearrington
- Maple View Farm for ice cream on the rocking chairs
- walk around Lake Johnson (where we had our second date!) and kayak
- go to Umstead Park (done already!)
- take a day trip or two to the beach
- visit the WRAL Azalea Gardens (done already!)
- pick strawberries (done! we went to Buckwheat Farm)
- pick blueberries
- make lots of desserts and cocktails with said berries
- go to Whiskey Kitchen and Brewery Bhavana in downtown Raleigh
- see an outdoor movie at the NC Art Museum or in downtown Raleigh or at Dorothea Dix Park
- Fridays on the Front Porch at the Carolina Inn
- go to a Durham Bulls game
- go shagging at North Hills on a Thursday night
- explore Duke Gardens and the Eno River State Park
- play tennis weekly (and mixed doubles, too!)
- grill out/hang out at the pool often
- host a summertime dinner party
Whew! I think that’s more than enough to include on this year’s edition of my annual Spring/Summer Checklist! We are so lucky to live in an area that has so many fun activities going on, and I love getting out an exploring new-to-us areas and events, seeking out adventures, and spending time with loved ones. Also, if you’re looking for an amazing Durham city guide, check out my friend Emily’s round-up (and the comment section, too)!
What are you most looking forward to this summer? Do you have anything new you’re itching to check out or try? And if you have any local favorites (in the Triangle of NC), you know I’m all ears to hear more suggestions and ideas!