Summer is unofficially here, though it’s felt like summer for weeks now in North Carolina! And this summer, hallelujah, feels like it just may be a more typical summer than last year. I am so, so unbelievably excited that it seems like our normal events and activities of summertime are back in full swing, and I’m sure you are, too! To me, summer signals the arrival of endless pool time, jaunts to the beach, cookouts and grilling with friends, nostalgia for childhood summers, ice cream date nights, celebrating the 4th of July, catching fireflies, lots of watermelon, hosting friends, family vacations, and enjoying all that our city has to offer this time of year. I love summertime so much (especially if by a body of water!), and we plan to savor this season and make the best of it. As you know, I adore making seasonal to-do lists (as evidenced by my summer bucket lists of 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013), and Rob and I have been brainstorming what we want to check off this summer’s annual bucket list of fun together!
Without further ado, here is our 2021 Summer Bucket List:
- celebrate the 4th of July, one of my all-time favorite holidays!
- visit our newest niece or nephew (it’s a surprise!) in NYC this summer!
- celebrate my cousin’s wedding in Pennsylvania with family
- enjoy a few glorious trips to the beach
- plan reunions with best friends spread out over the country
- hang patriotic bunting on our front porch
- read lots and lots of books in the sunshine
- go to our neighborhood pool as much as possible
- go to a Durham Bulls game
- go to an outdoor symphony
- go to an outdoor movie in the park
- pick up lunch at Foster’s Market and enjoy a picnic & stroll at Duke Gardens
- explore Pittsboro and Saxapahaw, two tiny towns nearby
- pick blueberries and peaches
- play tennis every week
- go to the farmer’s market regularly and cook lots of seasonal meals and desserts
- continue my every day walks (every single day in 2021 so far!) around the neighborhood and local parks
- enjoy date nights on our deck under the string lights
- enjoy picnics at Dorothea Dix Park, Pullen Park, Fred Fletcher Park, and the Art Museum
- visit the sunflowers and wildflowers at both the NCMA and Dorothea Dix Park
- play golf/go to the driving range and then enjoy snowcones
- make plenty of homemade ice cream and experiment with new flavors (we’ve made so much homemade vanilla ice cream, chocolate-peanut butter stracciatella, and pistachio gelato)
- make popsicles, banana pudding, and blueberry-blackberry-peach cobbler
- watch a movie outside on our deck with the string lights overhead and stovetop popcorn
- host dinner parties on our deck
Can you tell that we’re very ready to get back out there and fully enjoy this season and time with our families and friends?! We are feeling so, so thankful to see the return of many of our favorite summer adventures, activities, and trips, and we plan on embracing this season, finding joy, being with our loved ones, and having as much fun as we can while making new memories!
What are you most looking forward to this summer? I’d love to hear what you’re most excited about!