Summer is unofficially here, though it’s felt like summer for weeks now in North Carolina! Summer signals the arrival of endless pool time, jaunts to the beach, cookouts and grilling, nostalgia for childhood summers, ice cream date nights, hanging our American flag and celebrating the 4th of July, catching fireflies, lots of watermelon, hosting friends, and enjoying all that nature has to offer this time of year. I love summertime so much, and the possibilities for this summer are endless. I adore making seasonal to-do lists (as evidenced in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013), and Rob and I have been brainstorming what we want to check off this summer’s annual bucket list of fun! Wedding season, for me, is definitely in full swing til the beginning of August, but we’re definitely going to be embracing time when we can to seek out new adventures, explore our area, revisit old favorites, and soak up all this happy season has to offer.
Without further ado, here is this year’s Summer Checklist:
- celebrate the 4th of July, one of my all-time favorite holidays!
- pick blueberries
- visit Lavender Oaks Farm – all that heavenly lavender!
- enjoy a beach week with family
- hang patriotic bunting on our front porch
- travel to and enjoy three friend weddings this summer (all three in the DC area!)
- read lots and lots of books
- go to the farmer’s market often + cook lots of seasonal meals and desserts
- walk around Lake Johnson (where we had our second date!) and kayak
- go to Umstead Park for a long walk and picnic
- take a spontaneous day trip (or three!) to the beach
- visit the sunflowers
- outdoor movies at the NC Museum of Art
- Fridays on the Front Porch at the Carolina Inn
- go shag dancing at North Hills on a Thursday night
- go to a Durham Bulls game
- visit Mapleview for ice cream + to sit in the rocking chairs
- check out lots of local festivals
- explore the Eno River State Park
- make ice cream
- visit Jordan Lake
- play tennis 2x a month (and mixed doubles, too!)
- host a cookout
I think that’s more than enough to include on this year’s edition of my annual summer checklist! We are so lucky to live in an area that has so many fun activities going on, and I love getting out an exploring new-to-us areas and events, seeking out adventures, and spending time with loved ones during such a beautiful season.
What are you most looking forward to this summer Do you have anything new you’re itching to check out or try? And if you have any local favorites (in the Triangle of NC), you know I’m all ears to hear more suggestions and ideas!