Happy 2023, friends! I just shared my favorite books from 2022 (all 94 of them!), and I am excited to share my third iteration of my non-fiction book picks for the upcoming year (here is my 2022 non-fiction book list & here is my 2021 non-fiction book list)! In general, and especially when it comes to fiction books, I much prefer to read books as they come in from the library and as the mood strikes. I love reading far too much (and do so much of it!) to try to stick to a regimented or preconceived list that I created – but great for you if you do that, truly! In a continued effort to carve out time to read more and more non-fiction books that are on my to-read list, I created another non-fiction book list for the coming year. Of the 94 books that I read in 2022, 18 of them were non-fiction reads, and my top four non-fiction reads included I Guess I Haven’t Learned that Yet by Shauna Niequist, Atlas of the Heart: Mapping Meaningful Connection and the Language of Human Experience by Brene Brown, Dinners with Ruth by Nina Totenberg, & Left on Tenth by Delia Ephron.
This year, in a continued effort to immerse myself in some more non-fiction reads and learn more about topics that particularly interest me, I created a thoughtful list of books (25 of them!) that dear friends have read and wholly recommended, plus many more that I’ve had my eye on. I love, love, love non-fiction books (fiction, too!) covering a wide range of topics and written by a wide range of authors. There is SO MUCH to learn, so much wisdom to soak up, so many unique perspectives to listen to and immerse myself in, and an incredible array of topics to discover and deepen my thinking and knowledge base. It’s so important to me to constantly be learning and to read the works of people I admire or look up to… and some who just entertain me! From faith to history to business to biographies to racial reconciliation to the mind to personal growth and a myriad of other topics, I’m really excited to dive into this eclectic yet thought-provoking and enlightening mix.
my 25 non-fiction books for 2023:
- The Prodigal Prophet: Jonah and the Mystery of God’s Mercy, Timothy Keller
- Encounters with Jesus: Unexpected Answers to Life’s Biggest Questions, Timothy Keller
- The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God, Timothy Keller (a beloved re-read!)
- The Meaning of Marriage Couple’s Devotional, Timothy and Kathy Keller
- Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World’s Largest Religion, Rebecca McLaughlin
- Jesus Through the Eyes of Women, Rebecca McLaughlin
- How God Became King: The Forgotten Story of the Gospels, N.T. Wright
- The Weight of Glory, C.S. Lewis
- A Grief Observed, C.S. Lewis
- Women of the Word, Jen Wilkin
- In His Image: 10 Ways God Calls Us to Reflect His Character, Jen Wilkin
- Habits of the Household: Practicing the Story of God in Everyday Family Rhythms, Justin Whitmel Earley
- New Morning Mercies: A Daily Gospel Devotional, Paul David Tripp
- It Was an Ugly Couch Anyway: And Other Thoughts on Moving Forward, Elizabeth Passarella
- The Light We Carry, Michelle Obama
- Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family, Paul David Tripp
- Walden, Henry David Thoreau
- Awaking Wonder, Sally Clarkson
- Tell Me a Story, Cassandra King Conroy
- Solito, Javier Zamora
- Bomb Shelter: Love, Time, and Other Explosives, Mary Laura Philpott
- The Power of Meaning: Finding Fulfillment in a World Obsessed with Happiness, Emily Esfahani Smith
- Call Us What We Carry: Poems, Amanda Gorman
- How Women Rise: Break the 12 Habits Holding You Back from Your Next Raise, Promotion, or Job, Sally Helgesen
- Business Minded: A Guide for Setting Up Your Mind, Body, and Business for Success, Carly A. Riordan
I’d love for you to join along with any and all of these non-fiction reads, if you’d like to! I’ll be sharing more along the way over on Instagram (#stephaniereads) and on Goodreads, as usual, and hopefully more here throughout the year, as well. What’s next on your to-be-read pile of books? Do you have any non-fiction reads that I should add to my list for this year? I’m all ears!
Looking for more on books?! You can read a ton more previous blog posts of mine about books: my favorite books of 2022, my 2022 non-fiction book list, my favorite books of 2021, my 2021 non-fiction book list, my favorite books of 2020, my favorite books of 2019, my favorite books ever, all things books, let’s talk about books, best books of 2014, best books of 2013, the South’s best books and authors, and plenty more in my blog’s archives!
Affiliate links are used in this post – but I can’t sing the praises of shopping from smaller, independent bookstores enough!