I love. love. love. to read! It’s always been one of my favorite hobbies, and I get so excited about books and reading. One of my goals each and every year is to read (at least) 52 books throughout the year, averaging one book a week. It sounds like a lot, but to me, it’s easily attainable and a fun challenge. I have always surpassed my goal & typically read between 60-70 books (of all types) each year.
Now, it may sound like all I do is read, but I assure you that’s not the case! I commute for 1.5 – 2 hours a day on the metro, so that really helps me when it comes to finding time to read. I guess that’s one advantage on metro-ing daily for several years!
I also adore my Book Club! It’s been a lifelong goal of mine to be in a book club.. and combining book club with good friends and happy hour is always a winner in my book. We read a lot of books that I love but, somewhat surprisingly, a lot of books that I end up loathing – ha! I like to keep an open mind when I read, but there are definitely some books that I enjoy much more than others.
I essentially have my own personal little library at home, and I love to “loan” out books to friends, and one of my favorite things to do is to recommend books. So that’s what I’m going to do here!
Here are some of my ALL-TIME very, very favorite books! I had to write that in caps to stress how much I LOVE these books. I’ve read thousands (truly) and these make the cut. I hope you will try them all out… and let me know what you think. I’ve been compiling this list for years (some of you know this is a bookmarked running “note” on my phone)!
In no particular order, Stephanie’s ALL-TIME favorite books:
- Gone With the Wind, Margaret Mitchell
- Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert
- Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett
- Harry Potter series, J. K. Rowling
- To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
- East of Eden, John Steinbeck
- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
- Screwtape Letters, C. S. Lewis
- Les Miserables, Victor Hugo
- Anne of Green Gables, L. M. Montgomery
- The Help, Kathryn Stockett
- Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd
- Dan Brown books (Angels & Demons, The DaVinci Code)
- Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis
“If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads, but what he re-reads.”
– Francois Mauriac
Now tell me – which books do you recommend the most? What are your top books ever?!