This summer, 12 of our closest couple friends had an outdoor dinner party that was nothing short of magical! From the Italian farm fresh dinner, the gorgeous, natural table with the most stunning rentals, the cheese & charcuterie display, the fresh fruit cocktails, the starry night sky, and the company of so many of our nearest and dearest friends, it was an evening like out of a fairytale. Style Me Pretty Living featured this dinner party (and tips for throwing a 20+ person party on a budget), and we’re so thankful to our dear friends for hosting it in their backyard! Truly, there is nothing better than those nights of endless conversation, laughter, and merriment with those you love!
For our soiree, I made a lemon olive oil layer cake with fresh lemon cream + blackberries. I was so excited to see my cake featured on Style Me Pretty… a professional baker, I am not! But I do love a good challenge, and I wanted to bake a dessert that lent itself to our summery Italian dinner party. I am so pleased with how it turned out, both in terms of its appearance and its taste (a major win-win), and I’ve received requests for the recipe. It was such a hit, and I cannot wait to make it again… it’s the perfect summer dessert with a bit of a wow factor. And it’s not too hard to make!
Lemon Olive Oil Layer Cake with Fresh Lemon Cream
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup olive oil
4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350, and grease three 6×2-inch round cake pans. Grease the pans and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer for 5 minutes, or until pale and thick ribbons form
3. In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl combine the olive oil, lemon peel, lemon juice, and buttermilk.
4. Beat the vanilla into beaten egg mixture on low speed. With mixer on low speed, add the dry and wet ingredients in three additions, starting with dry and ending with wet. After the last addition, turn mixer off and whisk until combined.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean and cakes are golden and pull away from sides. Remove and cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely.
Place one cake layer on a serving plate (or a gorgeous cake stand!). Spread top of cake with 1/2 cup of the cream. Place another cake layer on top. Spread with another 1/2 cup cream. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread with another 1/2 cup cream. Do not add cream to the sides of the cake for a naked cake effect. Spread any remaining frosting atop of cake.
Lemon Cream Ingredients
1 cup ice-cold whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
In a large bowl beat cream, sugar, peel, and juice with an electric mixer or large whisk until soft peaks form. Cover and chill up to 4 hours ahead. Whisk before serving.
Photography: Blue Barn Photography | Design: Anna Foushee + Rachel Linder | Calligraphy & Design: Milk & Honeycomb | Rentals: Cottage Luxe
3 thoughts on “Lemon Olive Oil Cake Recipe”
So fun! Just clicked over to the SMP post and it looks like the evening was a dream!!
It was a total dream!! We’re already scheming up a fall-inspired dinner party!